So, I'm pretty sure right now that I'm just one big mosquito bite. My small room is so hot at night that if I don't leave the window open even just a crack, I wake up and open it. Last night I started off with the window closed, having experienced the funness of the mosquitoes the night before. But it didn't work. I ended up waking up to open up the window because I was just so hot. And then the buzzing started. I felt like I was swatting at the mosquitoes all the rest of the night. Apparently I slept because I woke up with a multitude of new bites, especially in the facial region. And how nice was that? 11 mosquito bites on my face for my first day of work? In addition to the over 50 bites I have on my arms. It's really nice. If I thought I could take a decent picture of it, I would, but I tried and since I can't take a 3D picture, it just didn't do it justice. You'll just have to use your imagination and imagine a very spotted Gina.
So, in my very spotted form, I showed up at the Inspection d'Agen for my first meeting with my bosses and the other assistants. It went great! There are two other assistants for the primary program, which I'm in, and they both seem fabulous (it's the first day and anyone who speaks English at this point would be fabulous... well not that homeless dude from McDonalds, but you know...). Elisabeth is from New Zealand and Aisha is from the states. We did a whirlwind tour of the schools and they showed us where the classes are that we will be going to. The kids I'm going to be working with are so little! And I'm actually teaching. I thought I was going to be one on one with kids, but nope. I'm in charge of about 6-8 classes for 45 minutes twice a week. I guess this will be the big test to see if I want to teach or not. There was a lot of information thrown at us in a very short period of time. Oh, and did I mention that they're not giving me a schedule? I have a list of classes, and I have to make up the schedule myself along with the directeurs of the 3 schools I'm going ot be working in. Oh, and another weird fact: the directeurs all seem to teach a class at the same time as doing all their directeur job. So strange to me coming from Canada where the Principal only does his principal job. Yet, all the directeurs have their own secretary. It's quite bizarre to see this secretary sitting in a little foyer area outside the directeur's classroom. Quel bizarre.
After we finished with our bosses, we headed out. Over the next couple days we're suppose to go an observe the classrooms and see what school is like in France. It looks a lot different. All the kids stand when the door is opened and remain standing until they're told to sit. However, much like kids everywhere, they don't stand quietly... they talk and giggle while standing. Anyways, back to this afternoon. Us three assistants headed down to centre ville to find a drink. So, much French, so much information, so fast, we all just wanted to speak English for a little bit. We found a place that sold milkshakes (I know what you were all thinking...but it was only 2 in the afternoon) and sat down for a little bit. And we talked, in English for the rest of the afternoon. We went and looked at apartment advertisements and cell phones and internet options. Really, the only problem where I am right now is that I can't have internet in my room. And it's a bit expensive, but I'm not sure how much cheaper another place would be once utilities are included. We all have the feeling that utilities are expensive here. All the lights are on timers. You press the light switch (well not in my room, but in the halls) and the lights stay on for 10-15 minutes (I think, I haven't timed it... I'm not that desperate for things to do yet). So, a cell phone would probably be a good idea. I can get one for less than 100 euros. Depending on whether I want to go with Orange or SFR will depend on what type of phone I get. I'm thinking one with mp3 possibilities and one from SFR just because the guys are so nice in there and the girls in Orange are jerkfaces. Well, anyways, you don't need to know what type of phone I'm getting... So, Aisha and I were both so glad to have some company. I went back with her to see her apartment, which is tres tres petit, and we ended up spending the rest of the evening making food and going to McDonalds to use their internet. It's so nice to have someone to hang out with. We're making plans for the weekend, which include a big farmers market and going to the Cassefour (je pense). And finding the Passage because Guides and Scouts, which seem to be one joined organization with separate programs for girls and boys, is having some kind of rendez-vous and I've been asked to come meet them so they can place me with a group! I'm so excited about this, which is something only a real Girl Guide could get excited about. You know you've been in Guiding too long when...
And now, I'm sitting here listening to my cbc podcasts (because I don't know any other podcasts to download. If anyone has any suggestions for any good ENGLISH podcasts I would appreciate it. My itunes is apparently all in French) and writing this so I can post it when I have internet again. It is bed time now (or lunch time for you), which means it's time for me to take a swig of benedryl so I don't scratch my arms off and turn off the lights. Bon soir or for you Bon appetite!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I told you it would get better! Little by little everything is going to start getting better. I'm glad you found someone to hangout with. Thats the hardest part. Miss you Gina!
ReplyDeleteThats so great Gina, sounds like you're really starting to become comme les francaises! I bet it's gonna get more and more fun from here! Good luck with the mosquitos haha
ReplyDeletelove,
Rachel