Monday, September 28, 2009

And it comes down to McDonalds...

So, I've now been in Agen for about 24 hours and I have decided that McDonalds is my favourite restraunt only because it's the only place I can get internet. I'm not sure if it's that people don't live on their computers the same way we do back home or what, but at the teachers college where I'm staying for the moment, I can't internet because I'm not a student and I can't seem to find any to steal from anywhere. So, as I walked by McDonalds I noticed a sticker saying free and unlimited WiFi. So, I went back and got my computer and came back and here I am, over an hour later, eating McNuggets and salad. One big difference is, I asked for a moyen ice tea (yep, it's still ice tea even in french) and their medium is the same size as our small! I thought that was quite good because I can never finish a medium pop.
Another neat thing, which really threw me this afternoon, is all the buisnesses close from 12ish till 2 for lunch. Not quite so helpful when you're trying to find things, but neat none the less.
Oh, and the weather, it's so warm. More humid I think, but man, in my little dorm room (and I do mean little) is so warm. Another plus for McDonalds -- it's air conditionned.
I still have a ton more exploring to do tomorrow, but it looks like it might be a nice place. It's been some major culture shock, and I'm super homesick, but it can only get better... right? At least I have found internet, and had at least 3 successful conversations in French about cell phones and internet access. I can't say I understood everything, but they understood me, which was the most important. Cell phones are super expensive... you buy time per hour. Three hours of international and local time a month is going to cost me 46 euros. Ouch. It may not happen... we'll see.
Untill my McDonald's adventure tomorrow, have a great night (or day as it is for you all)

3 comments:

  1. youpi! tu es arrivee! bonne chance la-bas. je suis jalouse. si tu prends des photos, affiche-les sur ton blog. la vie ici est tellement chargee. trop vite, trop occupee! on a eu notre premier rencontre avec les jeunes (23 sont venus). nous allons preparer pour une danse en octobre. ca sera fun!
    amuse-toi bien. bises, anita

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina, we miss you already! McDonalds sounds like fun! ;) Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love ya Gina :))

    It will get better i promise.

    ReplyDelete